Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Singles Match

Hmm.. Where do I begin?
Ok.. Have you ever wondered why or how the maximum number of couples start off being together in the last year of college??
Is it because by then u kinda know the people u r associated with and also know what you feel for whom?
Is it the feeling of wanting to be with someone when u r leaving behind the institution that brings the magic in the air?
Is it mere desperation?
Is it that u feel u have jus then reached a stage in life where u have to make those ‘important’ decisions about who and what you r going to be in the coming years and finally ‘settle down’?
Is it the fear of being alone that drives the whole thing?
Or is it the fact that being in love is so much in vogue and unfortunately so much in fashion too, that u feel u ought to be there n do that as well?

WHATEVER that maybe… Me being where I am can only say….
It drives the rest of us who are single up the wall……… and for loads of reasons!
It kinda builds a pressure somewhere within. A constant thing that keeps saying - Look where you are. U r still alone. Still without company. When the hell is it going to happen to you?……………. So on and so forth…
In the last year, three out of my 5 best friends have found partners.
And all three look like long-term associations.
Another best friend of mine has been with someone for the last 3 years or so.
At least another score of people I know have started being in a relationship in the last 4-5 months or so.
Two out of my 5 close friends from school are committed for life to their boyfriends.

Every time I meet a bunch of friends the hottest topic of discussion seems to be who has who in their lives. I mean people who would even hate discussing friends from the opposite sex now choose to suddenly want to talk about all the men/women they know, if they are still single or about that ‘one guy/girl’ who they are with!!
Its crazy! Really….
I for one have been depressed for so long now that things never work out for me in this direction! And stories about all the love stories happening around me only make me feel worse. :(
All people who have known me from when I was a kid, be it my family friends or relatives, are amazed that there is no one in my life! Some don’t even believe that am single! Then of course there are those silly disgusting comparisons that people make that get on my nerves! When xyz who is so quiet and decent has found a guy, she(as in me) would have.. kinda thing!! Like I am the flamboyant and flirt types and that way only cuz I hang out with men jus as much as I hang out with women...!
Oh man!! First of all, I hate comparisons of any any damn kind!
Secondly, who the hell told you that quiet and decent (as u wud call them) people do not have the same hormones that I am made of! Who the hell told you that they are not capable of making bold decisions about their lives, jus the way I can?? Only cuz he/she doesn’t really mingle with the opposite sex the way I do, doesn’t necessarily mean that they have hearts of gold or otherwise or any other dumb conclusion that u can proly draw from that!
And lastly, the fact that am single will not make as much of a difference to me as it does if ya stop bothering me with all your expectations, so to say……..
It is frustrating really..

At the end of it all, I get horribly scared and really depressed that I am gonna end up being the target of all discussions everywhere twenty years down the lane, cuz I ll be the only single woman around who will be trying to raise kids she has ‘only’ adopted (As they wud say) and not given birth to!

The point I am trying to make is, being me would not be that hard if the people around me dint make such a big deal about this whole damn thing of 'settling down in life' as it is called, only cuz I am graduating now. Be it fellow mates or older people.
Being a girl born to not a very liberal family, I know there is this constant thing on every ones mind, including my parents' and sister's, that someday soon I will end up with someone. But to me it is not really that. If it does happen, it does. Else I really don’t care. I would prefer living alone without making any compromises with respect to this, than otherwise.
Sigh. Sigh. If only people got that one thing, life would be close to living in paradise. :)

No comments: