Sunday, July 17, 2005

Memories of a Village City.

As the train pulled into the station slowly, several fond memories of my destination ran through my mind. During the journey I recalled how I would always end up eating ‘madduru vade’, ‘kadle kai’ and ‘sapota’ , when I was much younger and how I would religiously throw little coins into the two branches of Kaveri and how I would play with any person who would happen to be anywhere close to our seats! The short ride in the rickshaw reminded me of days when I would pester my mom or whoever else would accompany me (he he!) to call for a Tonga guy. Horses always fascinated me. And so did bumpy Tonga rides :)

For several years, the city of my birth, Mysore, was my summer and winter holiday destination (any other school break longer than a week would qualify as a vacation as well :D) and no vacation was probably ever complete with a whole lot of visits all around the city. Visits to the Zoo, the KRS dam and Brindavan gardens, Chamundi Betta, the Palace and Art Gallery were a half yearly or atleast an yearly affair. Not to forget looting mom n dad at the Dussera Exhibition every year. He he he!! Somehow buying kutti coloured umbrellas, little bags, and wooden toys during every visit to the KRS dam or exhibition became mandatory.

Being the first grand daughter at my maternal grand parents place, I was this totally pampered kid.. and man, I enjoyed it!
Still do.. :)

My uncles and aunts awaited my going there, as soon as my annual exams got over. As a little kid, guess I was pretty mischievous. And a total source of entertainment to everyone around... he he! My family runs a printing press there, which used to be a type press before and I would try and compose lines for them using metallic letters and would make such a mess! Supposed to have composed one whole debit voucher (which for some reason I thot was debitocher!) and without any mistakes at the age of 9 or 10.. :)
Going to the ‘city’, as the business oriented localities of the place are called, on the luna (yes, mysore was and even today, is typically known for the unbelievable number of lunas of various models that u would have never ever seen in Bangalore!!) and riding back, sitting on the reams of paper and the like, that were purchased was, for me, a total treat! Visiting the several client factories to receive and deliver orders was another fun activity then.
Playing with ever so newly bought badminton rackets in the evenings with all the grown ups in the house was a matter of pride :D The Saraswathi Puram Park or the lovely ‘kukkarahalli kere’ and manasa gangothri campus were among favorite evening haunts.

Well, I could go on forever about everything associated with this wonderful place and I would still have things left to say and describe!! My little visit this week made me realize how much those days have helped shape me as a person. Although, Long walks on lovely roads were a part of my routine this time as well… honestly, I missed school and missed summer hols even more.. :(
Sadly, the place has started getting the busy and oh-so-corporate feel of Bangalore, with food worlds and coffee days coming into the city (no thanks to the advent of infosys and wipro and the like) More ‘scooties’ move around than dear old 'lunas'. Cyber cafes have become a matter of every galli, although thankfully not as much as Bangalore.
Being not so advanced and yet so cultured has always been characteristic of Mysore and this according to me makes it as unique as it is and truly a retired man’s paradise.
A place certainly worth being in.
And a place that will always be my little haven.
Hope to go back there more often and probably even for ever, much later :)

PS: I dedicate this blog to my family in Mysore - thatha, ammamma, mama's, athe's and the 4 little ones... :)

1 comment:

Dileep Vasthare said...

You have been tagged. Vist my blog for details...